Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Using Crossover or wine for linux or Mac OS

Crossover was a revolution for intel macs. But now a team of coders has built up CXZ and CXS for use by those who wish to experiment. This is even better. Not only do they use similar Wine distributions, but they are CX is free.
I've been experimenting a while, and I've come up with a few tips.

First, since these apps need windows compatible code to run, you're looking at serious overhead in app size. I suggest keeping the apps on an external drive when finished. I recommend using standalone packaging only when you have finished making your app. If you don't intend to share it, don't use standalone--it takes up way too much ram. Notice I mention the external drive being used for STORAGE when the app is FINISHED being made--in order to build up the wrapper with what you'll need to run it, you'll have to have the wrapper on your main internal hard-disk to keep root-path consistency. Don't worry, once the paths are created and running, you can move the app.
I recommend you check forums for any extra requirements a pc program may have. Make sure you meet those requirements in your hardware.
It is usually better to use the installers in the wrapper to install your programs or games. I recommend it. If you find them lacking, you can go ahead and use the ones in a virtual machine with the proper version of windows, then make sure the proper folders are moved to your wrapper and the PLIST files reflect those folders. The advantage of running in a wrapper as opposed to a virtual machine with windows installed is that there is less overhead in ram.
That should do for now. Happy wrapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email me only when the comments aren't enough. I appreciate it. Email is harley.davis2010@gmail.com, please follow the instructions from the "Good Morning Dave" post and note which posting you are having an issue with. Requests will be taken at author's discretion, however don't always count on it. I like research, but it isn't the only thing in my life. Please try to confine e-mail to clarification only or information to add, and keep requests to a minimum. I may take one every two months or so, and if I'm bored, I may work with more.